Monday, June 10, 2013

Twin Bed turned Bench !






Hey Everybody!

I finished a new project this weekend! I really loved this one and I was sad to ship it off to "The Front Porch of the South" to sell in our booth.

I live about 20 miles outside of town so I have the potential to pass alot of yard sales and flea markets when I am going into town on the weekends. Last Saturday I drove to Columbus to drop off the burlap ottoman and prayed that I would pass a yard sale with a good, but cheap, furniture redo project. After dragging the kids through four yard sales that just didn't work I finally lucked out! I found a great solid wood twin bed frame at a church sale for $10.00. It was a perfect fit for my project and luckily it fit in the back of my Caliber (I love my hatchback car).

Here is a picture of the headboard and foot board before my Husband cut it in half.


Before Mike put the bench seat in I lightly sanded the surface to ensure that the primer and paint would stick to the wood. If you don't sand the gloss finish before you paint there is a good chance that the paint will just scratch off and look terrible.


After the piece was sanded Mike cut the foot board down the middle, flipped it upside down to make the bench seat higher and framed the bench seat.
I painted two coats of primer on the bench which is more than enough to protect the wood and provide a great surface for the paint finish.



The fun part was next, I got to get the paint out and put a fabulous light aqua green color to the bench. I love this paint color. I have a hutch in my kitchen with a lighter shade of this color. I will definitely be added a piece to my house with this awesome color.


I distressed around the edges to give this bench an antique feel. I love the shabby chic style and I think this bench falls in the category nicely.


Mike added a great solid Black Walnut bench seat. He sanded it down to a smooth finish and I added a couple coats of Polycrylic.



This bench turned out better than I planned and I can't wait to start on my next furniture makeover.

No comments:

Post a Comment