Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Chevron Tables




I am finally back!

My life is crazy busy, but I am glad to be adding my newest craft project.

My sweet husband loves wood and I love paint. He looks at anything with wood finish and sees a work of art, most of the time my mind goes straight to the paint isle at Home Depot! With that said, here is the latest paint project that made my husband cringe.

I started with a coffee table and end table set that my husband made out of scrap wood last year. I didn't have a coffee table at the time so anything was better than nothing. I put a dark stain on the table and worked with it for a while. Two weeks ago (thanks to Pintrest for the chevron stencil idea) I decided to go with a chevron table top print.

This is a before picture of the two end tables after I lightly sanded them.
When you are going from stain to paint is is worth the mess and the time to lightly sand all the surfaces that will be painted. I sanded these tables with 150 sand paper.

After sanding the table the next step was primer (my least favorite part!!). While I really wanted to skip this step, trial and error have taught me that it is necessary.


I allowed the primer to dry and added two coats of white satin finish paint.

Next I cut a chevron pattern from a piece of cardboard, this was very important for keeping the lines even and straight.

I traced the first row using the end of the table as my starting guide. Each complete row required 12 strips of painters tape.
I just continued the same pattern one row after the next until I reached the end. I often have my laptop sitting near by with an episode of "Supernatural" playing. It might slow me down just a little but its worth it!

Next I used a fine sponge roller to apply two coats of paint. After the paint was about 80% dry I removed the tape. When the tape was gone I was so happy with the result.

 I walked by it just to look 15 times that night before I finally went to bed.



I would recommend that anyone who has a DIY project but are afraid to try....Just do it! You will be surprised by what you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment